07 January 2006

Sharon

I was being too politic yesterday when I wrote "I don't know what to say about Ariel Sharon". I actually have this to say: for many years I considered him a war criminal and a hard-liner who stood in the way of peace. I don't think we can rewrite a man's life just because his policies may have changed in the 11th hour.

I'm convinced that any moves on Sharon's part towards peace (or, towards reconciliation with Palestinians, including conceding land, or towards whatever he thought he was doing which might not have had anything to do with peace) were due to pressure from the U.S. for the last couple of years.

And notice this: George Bush is not a peaceful man. If he was the initiator in any way, I truly believe it has something to do with some nefarious end game of his. Bush believes in Biblical prophecy, and for all I know, he's working to bring about his own version of Armageddon.

'Nuff said. I just wanted to be clear. I do believe a peson can redeem himself. I just don't believe that's what we've witnessed. Save the eulogy until he's passed away, for starters. And then, perhaps, save it for someone more deserving.

1 Comments:

Blogger TFLS said...

Epiphanies are possible - and maybe Sharon had one - but before that he blocked peace with the Palestinians at every turn. I agree with you - he cannot be given a walk as a sofit to his miraculous conversion. As I said - perhaps it was genuine; but I have my doubts.

6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home