06 January 2006

A Rant

I really don't know what to say about Ariel Sharon and his declining health. I don't have much of anything to add to the already extensive discussion on Israeli / Palestine.

Personally, I support having two free democratic societies, side by side, supporting one another, helping each other, old emnities buried. Nothing else makes sense. And I'm frustrated that it seems such a lo-o-o-ng way off.

I take the long range view: I understand that given our short range myopias, peace can never break out: How can we trust them, they've hurt us thus far, they don't like us, they're not like us, the only good one is a dead one, etc etc. However, given a long range view, nothing but peace that makes sense for your grandchildren's grandchildren. You KNOW that the other side will still be around - face it, they've always been around. And it doesn't make sense for you to still be fighting them. Everyone should be able to eke out a comfortable and happy living from the land. Everyone should be safe within their homes, towns, cafes, movie theatres, schools and places of business. Likewise, everyone should be able to visit Jerusalem and access other places they consider holy.

My main concern in this world is: how do we heal it?

How do we heal the region in such as way that Israelis and Palestinians can sit together in peace? I think it comes down to healing individual by individual, and that can only start after we've stopped the bleeding. This means, stop oppressing each other, dammit. Stop blowing up people and stop invading people's towns. BOTH of you. Grow up, already.

There's simply no excuse for bad behaviour. And while I'm at it, that goes for the rest of you, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home